" On Sept. 24, 2005, tens of thousands of protesters marched past the White House and flooded the National Mall near 17th Street and Constitution Avenue. They had arrived from all over the country for a day of speeches and concerts to protest the war in Iraq. It may have been the biggest antiwar rally since Vietnam. A light rain fell early in the day and most of the afternoon was cool and overcast.
Unknown to the crowd, biological-weapons sensors, scattered for miles across Washington by the Department of Homeland Security, were quietly doing their work. The machines are designed to detect killer pathogens. Sometime between 10 a.m. on Sept. 24 and 10 a.m. on Sept. 25, six of those machines sucked in trace amounts of deadly bacteria called Francisella tularensis. The government fears it is one of six biological weapons most likely to be used against the United States.
It was an alarming reading. The biological-weapons detection system in Washington had never set off any alarms before. There are more than 150 sensors spread across 30 of the most populated cities in America. But this was the first time that six sensors in any one place had detected a toxin at the same time. The sensors are also located miles from one another, suggesting that the pathogen was airborne and probably not limited to a local environmental source."
- [note that it took a full 6 days before a public warning was issued to medical facilities -- thanks to the efficiency of the Department of Homeland Security and the Center for Disease Control -- in other words, we are unprotected ]
- [ note also that the reporter interviewed several people who got very sick that day with symptoms similar to Tularemia and are still not recovered, including members of the highly visible activist group "Code Pink" ]
- [ note that several experts believe that this was a botched terrorism attack -- one says that you couldn't buy enough martinis to get him drunk enough to believe that this was not a deliberate bioterror attack ]
- [ note that no one has wondered which terrorist group would attack anti-war protestors! ]
- [ note that the persons behind the anthrax attacks 4 years ago are still free and unknown, thanks to the priorities of the CIA and FBI ]
"Currently, the investigation into what happened on Sept. 24 is ongoing. Government officials have apparently been taking soil samples around the Mall, attempting to pinpoint a natural source for F. tularensis. In the meantime, on Oct. 5, the National Institutes of Health announced it would award two contracts worth a total of $60 million to develop new Tularemia vaccine candidates. The announcement said nothing of the events 11 days earlier."